places are now preserved as Renge-ga-fuchi,
Tae-no-ura, and Tanjo-ido. Shonin's mother dreamedthat the
sun entered her bodywhen she became pregnant, so they named
their son Zen-nichi-maro, meaning "Boy with the Good
After Nichiren Shonin proclaimed his new path of Buddhism,
he continued his mission in Kamakura.But in January of 1264
he learned that his mother was ill and returned to his hometown.
He inscribed a mandala and prayed for his mother's recovery.
Because of his great merits, his mother's life was extended
for another four years.
October of 1276, Nichike, one of Nichiren Shonin's second
senior disciples, built a temple on the grounds where Shonin's
parents' home stood. The patron of this temple was named Sakuma-Hyogo-no-kami
temple was originallyat the place where Tae-no-ura iscurrently
located. But in August of 1498 the temple was destroyed by
a tsunami. The temple was rebuilt, but the second temple was
also destroyed by a tsunami,in
November of 1703. During the Hoei Period (1704-1710), Nichiko
restored the temple at its present location.
that time, a local lord donated the property, and
the temple's name was changed to its current one. But in 1758
all of the structures weredestroyed by a fire that left only
the Nio-mongate standing. In 1842, Nissen rebuilt the current